Curated by Michelle Tracy and Katie M. Golden
June is Migraine and Headache Awareness Month #MHAM. There is so much excitement in the air about many great campaigns, it can get a little confusing. The Migraine Warrior, Michelle Tracy, @chedeco, and Katie M. Golden, @GoldenGraine, have teamed up to break it down for you.
Whether you want to just share a post, blog about a given topic, take photos of you in migraine-related apparel, attend an in-person event or participate in a walk or run, there is something for everyone. Follow the hyperlinks for more information on each initiative. It’s kind of like “choose your own adventure!”
Share and Make Aware
- INvisible Project – Migraine Edition– The INvisible Project is a magazine sponsored by the US Pain Foundation. It highlights the personal strength, character, and courage of those living with invisible illnesses by sharing personal stories and photos. The ultimate purpose is to educate society about the toll pain has on an individual while also empowering those who live with pain and illness. The INvisible Project has released its first disease-specific edition, choosing to highlight migraine disease. Each day a quote from the participants will be shared in the afternoon, illustrating the raw truth about living with migraine disease. Don’t forget to like their Facebook page and Twitter to get quotes to share. Want a hard copy for you or to share with loved ones or doctor’s offices? Click here. Suggested hashtags: #INvisibleProject #MigraineMatters
- Migraine.com– Look out for unique content from videos, presentations, patient perspectives and honest answers from contributors. Follow their Facebook page and Twitter to share content you find useful.
- Move Against Migraine’s Day of Action– Sponsored by the American Migraine Foundation, June 8th has been designated as a Day of Action. Sign up with Thunderclap to pledge your online support via Facebook, Twitter, and/or Tumblr. Everyone who signed up for the Day of Action will have a one-time message shared on their social media accounts at 4:30 pm EDT. This will flood various social media outlets with messages of support for migraine awareness, all at the exact same time, around the world. Suggested hashtags: #MoveAgainstMigraine.
- Migraine Ninja Blogging and Social Media Challenge– The Migraine Ninja Blog has created daily social media posts, complete with hashtags and web links, ready to be cut and pasted into your social media. The Blogging Challenge is discussed in detail below. Suggested hashtags: #MHAM #MHAMSMC #Migraine #Headache #ClusterHeadaches
- Chronic Migraine Awareness, Inc’s “Take the Challenge”– Each day a question or prompt will be posted on their Facebook page, asking you to share different aspects of your migraine life. Suggested hashtags: #MHAM #MigraineMatters #CMAware
- American Headache Society & American Migraine Foundation Twitter Chat– Wed, June 7 at 5pm EST. The topic is Managing Migraine: From Understanding Your Triggers to Getting Help and Emerging Treatment Options. Follow #AHS17BOS on Twitter.
- American Headache Society– Webcast from the 59th Annual Scientific Meeting on Thurs, June 8th at 9am with Q&A to follow. Hosted by Peter Goadsby, MD, Ph.D., FAHS, AHS Scientific Program Committee Chair, Professor of Neurology, King’s College London and the University of California, San Francisco, and Director, NIHR-Wellcome Trust King’s Clinical Research Facility, King’s College Hospital, London. The discussion will include the latest advances in research, pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments, and disease epidemiology. Please submit questions prior to the webcast to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up for the webcast here.
It’s Selfie Time!
- Association of Migraine Disorders’ World Migraine Solidarity Day & Shades for Migraine– June 21st is the longest day of the year, making it the perfect day to wear sunglasses all day long – a reference to the photosensitivity commonly experienced by those with migraine. Take a selfie while wearing cool shades and post it to social media using the hashtag #ShadesForMigraine. Get your friends and family involved. It’s an easy and effective way to show your support for the migraine community. Join the Thunderclap campaign to amplify the reach of this campaign on June 21st. Follow them on Facebook & Twitter. Suggested hashtags: #ShadesforMigraine #WorldMigraineSolidarityDay
- Migraine Idaho’s Haturday for Headaches– buy their specially designed hat here by June 7th and wear on June 24th. Sign-up for the event here and like their Facebook Page, Twitter, and Instagram. Take a selfie on June 24th wearing your hat and share on social media using #haturdayforheadaches. Funds raised by this campaign will be donated to the Migraine Research Foundation.
Put Pen to Paper
- National Pain Report Mygraine Stories– The U.S. Pain Foundation has partnered with The National Pain Report in June to feature the stories of U.S. Pain Foundation Ambassadors who are living with migraine disease. These personal narratives will be shared on The National Pain Report’s website, Facebook page, and Twitter. The U.S. Pain Foundation will also share on their social media platforms, newsletters, and website.
- Migraine Ninja Blogging and Social Media Challenge– As detailed in the “Share and Make Aware” section above, The Migraine Ninja Blog gives bloggers daily prompts to use as inspiration during Migraine & Headache Awareness Month. If you don’t have a blog, post your response on Facebook. The blogging challenge goes hand in hand with their social media statements mentioned above. Consider doing both! Suggested hashtags: #MHAM #MHAMSMC #Migraine #Headache #ClusterHeadaches
Wanna Meet Your “Migraine Family” In Person?
- 5th Annual American Headache & Migraine Association (AHMA) Patient Conference– AHMA’s conference onSunday June 11 will be held at the Westin Boston Waterfront from 9am to 6pm. This event is a great opportunity to learn from some of the best and brightest doctors and advocates in the migraine and headache disorders community as well as to network with fellow migraine patients. Caregivers, friends, and family are also encouraged to attend, with a break-out session devoted just to them. You can register in person.
- Association of Migraine Disorders’ Mad Hatter Party– On Friday, June 23, The Association of Migraine Disorders is hosting their 3rd Annual Mad Hatter Party at The Squantum Association in Riverside, Rhode Island from 6pm to 9:30pm. This is a fundraising event that will feature dinner, live music, and an awards ceremony honoring this year’s most impactful and influential people in the migraine community. The Impact Award recipient is Katie M. Golden and the Innovation Award recipient is Dale Bond, Ph.D. of Brown University. Prior to the main event, there will be a panel discussion from 4:30pm –6pm on hot topics in migraine. Tickets are still available and are discounted for first-time attendees.
- Chronic Migraine Awareness, Inc’s Medical Marijuana for Migraine Patient Info Dinner– Wed, June 28 from 6pm-7:30pm in Buffalo, NY. Dinner and a conversation on how medical marijuana fits into a migraine management plan.
- Danielle Byron Henry Migraine Foundation’s “Shine Her Light” Fundraiser-This foundation was established in 2016 to increase awareness of migraine disease and its impact on patients, their families, and society. Their ultimate goal of our foundation is to help build a comprehensive migraine treatment center in Utah. On Friday, June 16 starting at 6:00pm, the Shine Her Light Fundraiser will be held in Salt Lake City, UT. There will be dinner, live band, and a silent auction. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Miles for Migraine June Virtual Challenge– Miles for Migraine has three charity walk/ races planned for the remainder of the year in San Francisco, Washington, DC and Philadelphia. For June, they are promoting a “virtual race,” with a goal to have participants create teams and fundraise in all 50 states. If you can’t physically attend a race, consider raising funds and spreading awareness in June through a virtual race.
- Race Against Pain: Cluster Headache Awareness– Join the Inaugural fundraising walk/race for Race Against Pain on Sat, July 17th from 7:30am – 12pm in Centennial, Co. 100% of the profits will go towards cluster headache research. You can register here. Oxygen tanks will be available for participants with cluster headaches, but you must bring your own mask. There will be refreshments available and aid stations placed along the route and a raffle at 10am. There is also a playground a few hundred feet from the shelter.
Pick one, pick ’em all. Let’s work together to educate and end stigma.
Did we miss something? Let us know!
-Michelle & Katie